What we do
We are a Parish Council within the Cannock Chase area. Parish refers to the geographical area. We are not connected with any church.
We have 11 scheduled official meetings annually, usually on the first Wednesday at the Hayes Green Community Centre. We have 13 Councillors representing four wards.
- We run the Hayes Green Community Centre. We took it over when it was to be closed.
- We promote and encourage the roll out if defibrillator units. So far, we have involved with four.
1) Hayes Green Community Centre, Heath Way, Heath Hayes.
2) St John’s Church, Hednesford Road, Heath Hayes.
3) Community Life Church, Hednesford Road, Heath Hayes.
4) Tasty Bites, John Street, Wimblebury.
- We comment on planning applications for the benefit of all the residents.
- We liaise with local organisations to suggest improvements for example, we liaised with Tesco to schedule deliveries so refrigerated lorries were not parked waiting in Heath Way with their engines running affecting the neighbours.
- WE SUGGEST ROAD SAFETY MEASURES. EG DROPPED KERBS, IMPROVED PARKING, THE PEDESTRIAN REFUGES ON HAYES WAY, THE PEDESTRIAN CROSSING ON HAYES WAY AND WE LOBBIED FOR 10 YEARS TO GET THE SPEED LIMIT ON THE CANNOCK ROAD BETWEEN CHAPEL STREET AND FIVE WAYS ISLAND REDUCED TO 30 MPH.
Annually, the Council sends and receives 7,500 emails, phone calls and letters.
- We make grants to local organisations that benefit the area. IN THE LAST 11 YEARS WE HAVE DONATED ALMOST £70,000. APRIL 2015, OVER £9,000 WAS DONATED.
- We have a very active Facebook group.
- IN THE LAST SEVEN YEARS, WE HAVE GENERATED INCOME OF £140,000.
- WE HAVE A GREEN POLICY TO SAVE ENERGY AND COSTS WHEREVER POSSIBLE. EMAILS RATHER THAN POST. HIGH-EFFICIENCY BOILER AT HE CENTRE. ELECTRIC BIKE FOR WORK WHEN POSSIBLE. (PURCHASED BY THE CLERK)
WE REDUCE COSTS WHERE POSSIBLE. WE RECEIVED £1,650 FROM HMRC FOR VOLUNTARY ONLINE FILING. WE APPLY TO THE DISTRICT COUNCIL FOR RATE RELIEF FOR THE CENTRES. WE RECLAIM ALL VAT PAID AS WE ARE EXEMPT AS A PARISH COUNCIL.
- We have assisted creating groups in the area, such as the Heath Hayes Area Senior Residents’ Support Group.
- We liaise with other Councils, such as Cannock Chase Council and Staffordshire County Council.
- Ww have liaised with Hednesford and Norton Canes Council to form a group to work together to provide the administration for the Christmas lights in our respective areas. The initial agreement covered the 2017,18 and 19 Festive Season. We have taken over responsibility for the seven lights from Cannock Chase Council
- WE HAVE AWARDS FOR THE CITIZEN, BUSINESS AND YOUNG PERSON OF THE YEAR, WHICH ARE GIVEN OUT AT OUR ANNUAL PARISH MEETING.
- WE ENTER THE BEST KEPT VILLAGE COMPETITION FOR HEATH HAYES AND WIMBLEBURY. AS PART OF THIS, WE RUN A POSTER COMPETITION AND HAVE ARRANGED LITTER PICKING EVENTS.
- We organise Remembrance events at Heath Hayes and Wimblebury.
- AS WELL AS THIS WEBSITE, WE ARE ON FACEBOOK, WE HAVE TWO NOTICEBOARDS AND PUBLISH NEWSLETTERS.
- WE ASSIST LOCAL GROUPS WITH PLACES TO MEET, FUNDING AND INFORMATION.
- WE PRODUCED A VILLAGE MAP FUNDED SOLELY THROUGH GRANTS WE APPLIED FOR.
- WE PROMOTE LOCAL FACILITIES AND GROUPS.
- WE ORGANISE PUBLIC CONSULTATION EVENTS WHEN NECESSARY.
- WE PRODUCE RESIDENTS GUIDES. (SCHOOLS ETC).
- THE PRECEPT IS LOWER THAN IT WAS 10 YEARS AGO AND THE COUNCIL COSTS THE AVERAGE HOUSE ABOUT 30P A WEEK.